Thursday 22 October 2009

_Baltic

I'm planned on heading upto Newcastle to the Baltic Art Gallery. It's got three really great exhibitions on all at one time. I swear that's pretty rare! Normally there's only one that you want to visit..! Anyway, it's Martin Parr's PARRWORLD, Malcolm McLaren's Shallow and Damien Hirst's Pharmacy. They all run from now until early Jan/Feb 2010.

It's the only UK date for PARRWORLD which is cool, normally artists choose to exhibit in London if only showing once..! He's shot under a new title of Luxury, which will be interesting to see as he's known for his more gritty social realist work.

McLaren's work for Shallow falls under the 'musical painting' moniker. He cuts and pastes clips from old movies, the footage shows the time before people have sex. I only really relate McLaren to Westwood, Pistols, Bow Wow Wow etc, so will be good to see this side of him.

The Baltic are simply showing Hirst's Pharmacy exhibiton from '92. I like that though as I was only 4 back then so gives people another chance to see these particular works.

I'll let you know how it is when I get back, I'll try take some photos for those who can't visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment